Current Movie: Rear Window – Aug. 19
About This MovieToggle
Nuts! Rear Window didn’t reach the tipping point in time. Unfortunately, it won’t be showing. We’ll get ‘em next time!
Hey, who’s that crazy guy across the street with the binoculars? Oh, that’s just Jimmy Stewart. He’s probably watching one my neighbors being murdered. Carry on, good sir!
Hitchcock’s suspenseful tale of voyeurism, suspicion, and murder is coming to the Colonial Theater for one night only on August 19, 2021 at 7:30PM. An undeniable classic film, Rear Window showcases Hitchcock’s mastery of light and shadow in tight quarters. You can feel the walls closing in around you as the story moves along. It’s going to be a real treat to see it on the big screen at the Colonial!
In 1950-something New York, an adventuresome free-lance photographer finds himself confined to a wheelchair in his tiny apartment while a broken leg mends. With only the occasional distraction of a visiting nurse and his frustrated love interest, a beautiful fashion consultant, his attention is naturally drawn to the courtyard outside his “rear window” and the occupants of the apartment buildings which surround it.
Soon he is consumed by the private dramas of his neighbors lives which play themselves out before his eyes. There is “Miss Lonelyhearts,” so desperate for her imaginary lover that she sits him a plate at the dinner table and feigns their ensuing chat. There is the frustrated composer banging on his piano, the sunbathing sculptress, the shapely dancer, the newlyweds who are concealed from their neighbors by a window shade, and a bungling middle-aged couple with a little yapping dog who sleep on the fire escape to avoid the sweltering heat of their apartment.
And then there is the mysterious salesman whose nagging, invalid wife’s sudden absence from the scene ominously coincides with middle-of-the-night forays into the dark, sleeping city with his sample case. Where did she go? What’s in the trunk that the salesman ships away? What’s he been doing with the knives and the saw that he cleans at the kitchen sink? — IMDb Plot: Rear Window (1954)
New to Colonial Classic Movies?
Here’s the skinny: The Colonial will show Rear Window on August 19, 2021 at 7:30PM, but only if enough folks come to the screening. Here’s how it works:
- Go through checkout – It’s just like you’re buying a tickets, only we won’t collect your payment or issue your tickets until the movie hits its tipping point of 50 tickets.
- Spread the word! – Once we get 50 folks to come, the show is on! But it has to tip by August 13 If it doesn’t tip, you’re not out anything. We won’t collect your payments, and the movie won’t show. It’s up to YOU to make it happen!
- Head to the Colonial – We’ll email you when your tickets are ready. Just print out your ticket or show it on your smart phone at the door.
- Vote! – What shows next is up to you. Head to the Vote page to choose what shows at the Colonial’s next CCM screening. Don’t see a movie you like? Tell us what your favorite movies are on the Suggest page and we’ll put them up for a future vote.
Venue: Colonial TheaterToggle
- A classic theater full of movie-lovers like you
- #48 on AFI's Top 100 Films
- 100% Rotten Tomatoes
- Hitchcock on the big screen!